COVID – 19 Emergency
Free legal aid for asylum seekers and refugees in Republic of North Macedonia
On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared that an outbreak of COVID-19 had reached global pandemic levels.
As of 17th of March 2020 Republic of North Macedonia has declared emergency situation due to the virus COVID-19. Movement of people (except for health related emergency cases) is forbidden in the period from 7PM until 5AM on the whole territory of Republic of North Macedonia.
All border crossings are closed for foreigners arriving from high risk countries.
In time of emergency all efforts are towards reduction of disease transmission. In responding to this crisis MYLA and UNHCR office in Skopje are in daily communication and provide relevant information for persons under UNHCR mandate.
Information for travelers entering Republic of North Macedonia is available here
Major active measures in North Macedonia:
- A state of emergency is enforced nationally from 7p.m. to 5a.m. every day
- All land border crossings are closed for entry of foreign nationals; exception is made for diplomatic corps representatives, lorry drivers, and persons waived by the MoI at suggestion of the Principal Crisis Coordination Centre
- Both international airports (Skopje, Ohrid) have been closed for commercial operation
- All public and private gatherings are prohibited, regardless of the scope and the number of participants
- Hospitals receive only emergency cases | Therapy for chronically ill persons will be prescribed by the GP
- Children infected with COVID-19 are received by the Children pulmonary hospital in Kozle
- For a list of all active measures previously introduced by the Government, as well as and Government recommendations for protection and prevention from COVID-19, please click on the following links for content in Macedonian, English, Albanian.
COVID-19 INFO MATERIALS
(World Health Organization)
How to reduce the risk of infection?
No matter where we are, we can all minimize risk by practicing good hygiene:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water/hand sanitizer.
- Cough and sneeze into tissues or into a flexed elbow.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wash food before eating and avoid raw or uncooked food.
- Avoid using public transport if you do develop symptoms of the flu.